Cambodia International University
About Cambodia International University
Since 1979, all social infrastructures were actively redeveloped, and education has become a major sector in Cambodia. The government has exerted itself to look for various supportive measures to encourage the contribution of private educational institutions in rebuilding the lost potential wealth, hence upgrading human resources for the country in the future. In response to the country’s needs, ELT Institute was established in 1994 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia under respectful, ethical and responsible manner of Mr. Cheang Yi and his wife, Ms. Chea Neang Eng. It founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community.
American Academy of Language Art (AALA) was the named before ELT. It was founded by the US entrepreneurs from United States, who believed that education is a bridge to enrich people understanding to help develop the country. ELT Elementary and Secondary School, EESS is also a part of the ELT institution in which it offers the education from grade 1 to 12. Students will learn both Khmer and English following the American Standard which they will learn as what the American students learn in America. The Cambodian Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport granted the rights for EESS to issue the diploma once the students have complete enough credits.
The continuous progress of ELT institution can be proved to us through active involvement of 375 staff and 5,850 students enrolled at the beginning of 2010. The pride and good reputation of ELT Group we cherish today is a valuable and concerted effort of a long-time investment of energy and intelligence of top management team, who have worked with great commitment and enthusiasm, coupled with mutual understanding and dynamic cooperation from all managers and staffs in researching, developing and implementing educational activities which can guarantee quality education to students and the whole Cambodian nation.
Due to substantial progress of number of students and strong willingness to more actively develop our country’s human resources, the management team of ELT institution has thought of providing higher level of education to serve Cambodian people; thus, Cambodian International University, known as “CamIU” will be established in 2010. The higher institution of learning aims to develop and train students in Advanced Diploma, Intensive Diploma, Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, and Master Degrees, fully recognized by the government of Cambodia. The university will be located at Building 5-13, Street 136, Sangkat Phsar Thmei III, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Using credit-learning-based system, carefully organized by experienced local and international educational experts, Cambodian International University is equipped with modern learning and teaching materials, air-conditioners, large lecture halls and classrooms; a modern library with a state of art technology, a well-designed canteen; well-equipped computer laboratory, a large parking space, supported by lecturers of both theoretical and practical qualifications.
Cambodian International University is committed to become an internationally recognized higher educational institution in Cambodia that is providing knowledge and skills required for the life-time education and careers of the future best qualified government, development, industry, and business leaders of the country and the Mekong Sub-Region.
As a privately-supported institution of education and learning, CamIU has a four-fold mission:
- It offers instructional programs of high quality that will lead to completion of formal education from undergraduate to graduate studies, and business training and consulting services.
- It promotes humanitarian and moral activities; leadership and emotional intelligence competence, especially among the youth.
- It strives to exemplify educational leadership.
- It develops and maintains good relations with other local and international institutions in developing human resources and promoting humanitarian attitude; creates a positive working environment for its employees, which promotes job satisfaction.
For the academic year 2010 – 2011, CamIU aims to achieve the following goals:
- Develop the academic programs, curriculum, and lecture delivery at par with the ASEAN University Network (AUN) standards;
- Establish partnerships with private, public and non-government organizations in the delivery of academic programs, specifically in the conduct of on-the-job training programs and internships, as well as in advanced employment placement programs for Associate and Foundation students;
- Ensure that every student of CamIU will possess at least one specific specialized field of interest or academic major, practical and working knowledge of information technology and the internet, and a high level of proficiency in written and oral English language;
- Achieve a student level of satisfaction and acceptance of the quality of instruction of at least 70 percent;
- Generate a total enrolment of 150 in the foundations’ and associate degree programs, by the end of the academic year 2010 – 2011;
- Continue academic, research, and training linkages with the Asian Institute of Development Studies;
- Establish affiliation with internationally-recognized educational institutions in the USA, Europe, and other parts of Asia.
The students, faculty, and staff of Cambodian International University hold a set of complementary values that we believe are fundamental to our identity and
functioning. It is from our varying perspectives that we come together as members of the university community to collectively affirm and enact the following set of values.
We value excellence.
The search for excellence is the hallmark of all our endeavors.
We value learning.
Student learning and satisfaction are the measures of our success.
We value scholarly research.
We engage in reflective practice through the scholarship of discovery and the scholarship of teaching.
We value the free exchange of ideas.
A respectful climate for open discourse promotes innovation, discovery, and social responsibility.
We value openness and flexibility.
Reducing barriers to education enhances access and social equity.
We value diversity and inclusiveness.
Diversity and inclusiveness enhance the quality both of learning and of the workplace.
We value our employees.
The commitment, innovation, creativity, and continuous learning of every employee contribute to our success.
We value accountability.
We are accountable to our students, to each other, and to the public.
Cambodian International University will continue to be a place where students build up knowledge, skills, and abilities for their prospective careers. As part of its philosophy, the University will:
- Commit itself to total quality management (TQM) in the delivery of academic programs that will bring satisfaction to its customers (the students and the members of the academic community) and thereby serving as catalyst for Cambodian International University’s success;
- Employ pro-active, responsible, friendly, and cooperative academicians, teachers, researchers, managers, and staff that will ensure success in their chosen endeavors, as well as in propagating the virtue of patience, honesty, reliability, non-discrimination and no nepotism practices;
- Manage and lead students with high level of leadership and emotional intelligence competence.
- Serve as an agent of change for the development and success of the Cambodian society and economy; and
- Operate every class on an At-Least-No-Loss basis.